Business and Industry
The University of Adelaide is one of the most research-intensive universities in Australia. With an outstanding track record that produces real commercial outcomes, we are committed to investing in research excellence and delivering the highest quality results for our local and global community.
Dozens of companies across a wide variety of sectors have benefited from working with the University of Adelaide to cultivate new ideas and innovations. Collaborative research projects between industry and universities offer significant scope for the development of new knowledge and practices, new patents, solutions to technical problems and in some cases, the development of new products - all of which can translate into significant economic and social advantages.
In addition to research partnerships, the Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences maintains an active relationship with business and industry through avenues such as consulting, training and development, student project sponsorships, student placement and work experience, industry secondments and sponsored staff positions.
- Research Facilities
Through its research collaborations, the Faculty has assisted public and private organisations by providing expert consultants and access to a wide range of state-of-the-art equipment and facilities that may not otherwise be available.
Some of these facilities include:
- Acoustic test chambers and noise and vibration testing equipment
- Anechoic chamber
- Coal research laboratory
- Combustion laboratory
- Cyclonic test station
- Drilling fluid laboratory
- Engine test cells
- Fluids laboratory
- Geotechnical engineering laboratory
- Hydraulic engineering laboratory
- Laser research laboratories
- Mining engineering laboratory
- Oil and gas test/simulator well
- Rock properties laboratory
- Solar simulation
- Structural engineering laboratories
- T-Ray laboratory
- Virtual reality facility
- Water tunnels
- Wind tunnels, large and small scale
- Research Centres and Institutes
The University has established a number of world-class research institutes and centres in partnership with government and industry. They bring together world-leading researchers, supported by modern infrastructure and an innovative culture, to tackle state and national research priorities. In addition, the Faculty leads participation in two Federal Government funded Co-operative Research Centres and is a founding member of the multi-university Defence Systems Innovation Centre.
These research entities include:
- Adelaide Radar Research Centre
- Australian Centre for Visual Technologies
- Centre for Automotive Safety Research
- Centre for Defence Communications and Information Networking
- Centre for Energy Technology
- Centre for High Performance Integrated Technologies and Systems
- Institute for Mineral and Energy Resources
- South Australian Centre for Geothermal Energy Research
- Teletraffic Research Centre
- Cooperative Research Centre for Greenhouse Gas Technologies
- Cooperative Research Centre for Deep Exploration Technologies
- Defence Systems Innovation Centre
- Training, Education and Professional Development
At the University of Adelaide, world-class research underpins world-class learning and teaching. The Faculty offers a range of training, education and professional development services relevant to industry and business.
Opportunities include the following:
- Postgraduate programs developed and delivered specifically to suit your organisation's educational and professional development needs.*
- Delivery of courses in-house, online and/or in intensive mode.#
- Non-award short courses available in selected technology and engineering-based fields.
- Industry-based PhD projects focused directly on solving company/industry problems.
- Research collaborations.
* subject to negotiation, suitability and availability
# not available for all programs/courses
- Business and Industry in Schools