Space Resource Fundamentals
Become the expert in your school, business, or government organisation regarding the exciting new field critical to unlocking the next wave of human exploration of the solar system: space resource utilisation.
The Space Resource Fundamentals short course is a 4-day inter-disciplinary course designed to provide an in-depth understanding of the nascent space resource field examining its critical necessity to continued human space exploration.
This intensive course includes the key legal environment aspects of space resources and the various destinations, specific resources, proposed methodologies and benefits of utilising resources found off-world.
You will gain a new understanding of the complex realities that shape this critical enabling capability upon which crewed deep space exploration is reliant, and be able to knowledgably guide your company or organisation regarding potential areas of interest.
What is covered in this course?
The following topics will be covered during the course:
Who is this course for?
This short course will be the first offering of its kind in Australia.
This interdisciplinary short course is designed for working professionals and advanced students hailing from diverse sectors such as law, business, the resource industry, government, or the engineering field.
While topics such as orbital mechanics and geology are necessarily covered to facilitate understanding regarding business case and operations realities, specialist backgrounds in science, engineering, or geology are not required for successful completion.
On completing the course, you will be able to speak knowledgeably regarding the topic of “Space Resources” gaining key insights into:
The course will be delivered over 4 days with a simultaneous classroom and online delivery.
This course will be delivered by a team of cutting-edge experts from the space resource research, operations, and industry segments as represented by:
- Director Charles Elachi, Cal Tech, Former JPL Director 2001-2016
- Mr. Mark Sonter, co-founder Deep Space Industries, Asteroid Enterprises, Deep Space Industries, ARPPS
- Dr. Paddy Neumann, Neumann Space
- Dr. Carlos Espejel, Chief Lunar Mining Engineer ispace
- Katie Hulmes, OZ Minerals
- Prof Melissa de Zwart, University of Adelaide Dean of Law
- Prof Deborah Turnbull, University of Adelaide Chair of Psychology
- Prof Scott Smith, University of Adelaide, HoS Civil, Environmental, and Mining Engineering
- Prof Matt Gilliham, University of Adelaide, Director Waite Research Institute
- A/Prof Rini Akmeliawati, University of Adelaide Mechanical Engineering
- A/Prof David Harvey, University of Adelaide Mechanical Engineering
- A/Prof John Culton, University of Adelaide, Director ATCSR.
Available course dates
23 – 26 November 2021
- Delivery format: Online & in person available
- Standard course fee: $AU2500 (GST free)
Please use the application form below to register your interest.
Fill in the form below to register your interest for the November 2021 intake.