Women in Engineering and Technology
"Leaders of the future will have to be visionary and be able to bring people in - real communicators. These are things that women bring to leadership and executive positions, and it's going to be incredibly valuable and incredibly in demand." Dr Anita Borg, Computer Scientist (1949-2003)
Women play an increasingly vital role in engineering and technology. The Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences (ECMS) recognises this and strives to provide academic and social support, networking opportunities and resources for female students within the Faculty to ensure that they are well positioned to contribute to the future advancement of their chosen field.
- Women Leaders in STEM Careers Program
The University of Adelaide's Women Leaders in STEM Careers Program provides personal and professional development opportunities for young women in STEM degrees. Through the program, we help our female STEM students develop into innovative leaders in their fields who have the confidence, resilience and leadership skills to pursue a career in STEM, and give industry well-rounded, highly regarded and prepared graduates.
All current female students from the University of Adelaide studying any Science degree or any Engineering, Mathematics or Computer Science degree from 2nd year onwards are eligible to apply.
Find out more about applying for the program.
For all enquiries or to register your interest for the 2018 Women Leaders in STEM Careers Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Networking Opportunities and Social Groups
- Robogals Adelaide
A student run group that aims to promote science and engineering to girls in Adelaide schools.
- Women in Innovation and Technology (WIT)
WIT SA is a community of volunteer professionals passionate about innovation and technology striving to support and elevate South Australia's innovative women.
- Girl Geek Coffees (GGC)
GGC is an international student networking group, for females and supportive males in STEM with an emphasis on information technology.
- Robogals Adelaide
- Useful Links and Resources
- Careers Service - The University of Adelaide's Careers Service offers group workshops and individual appointments to assist with career-related skills and enquiries
- Engineer Girl - Insights into female engineers, past and present by the United States National Academy of Engineering
- Girl Geek Coffees - A meet and greet discussion group for students in IT and related science, engineering and mathematics fields
- IEEE Women in Engineering - The largest professional organisation dedicated to promoting women engineers and scientists and inspiring girls to follow their academic interests to a career in engineering
- My Future - Career information and exploration service including information about scholarships
- The Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology - Working to advance women in computer science and engineering roles globally
- Women in Engineering - A committee of Engineers Australia, working to ensure that engineering becomes an inclusive profession which values, supports and celebrates the contribution of women
- Women in Technology - Linking women in technology, industry and academia
- Contact Us
The Faculty of ECMS is committed to providing academic and social support to all engineering, computer and mathematical sciences students. Have a question or suggestion? Contact us!