2021/2022 Fishbowl Challenge
- Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021
- Location: Virtual
- More information: Find out more and register by 1 July
- Contact: Careers Service email@example.com
University of Adelaide students are invited to participate in the Fishbowl Challenge - a venture building program for young entrepreneurs driving tech-powered social change around the world.
This year, the Fishbowl Challenge will bring together a select international group of 150 innovative students to tackle some of the world’s biggest problems.
The Fishbowl Challenge is a 6-month intensive venture-building program for young university entrepreneurs. Participants work in international teams with students across the globe to build tech-based social ventures that combat issues in these 5 critical areas:
- Economic Empowerment
- Education Technology
- Healthcare and
- Renewable Energy & Sustainability.
Teams will receive the direct support and mentorship of world-class senior-level industry leaders all through the program. Up to $50,000 in seed funding will be allocated across the winning ventures to work on their ideas.
As this is a team competition, your group will be relying on your active participation and commitment. Before applying, make sure you are ready to put in the work, be flexible across time zones, and prioritize this program over the coming 6 months.
There will be 3 increasingly selective rounds and a grand finale in March, 2022. The winning teams will receive funding to refine their ideas and pursue their ventures.
The challenge timeline
- 1 July 2021 – Application Period: Applicants must complete and submit applications by this date
- 8 July 2021 – Application period: Recommenders must submit recommendations
- 31 July 2021 – Team Formation: Successful applicants join a global project team and are matched with an industry mentor expert.
Once Challengers have been selected, the competition is expected to run for 6 months from August 2021 until February 2022. There will be 3 increasingly selective rounds and a grand finale in March, 2022. The winning teams will receive funding to refine their ideas and pursue their ventures.
- Round 1 – Teams begin the venture-building process by creating a business plan that addresses a social problem or market opportunity using technology and receive judge feedback
- Round 2 – Teams test and refine their assumptions through iterative prototyping and customer research, before presenting to a judging panel via live video conferencing
- Round 3 – Finalists develop a roadmap to market and post-program execution plans. Teams travel to a European city* to present the final version of their business plan in front of judges
- Venture Launch – Winners receive up to $50,000 in prize money to bring their tech-powered social ventures to life!
The grand prize!
Winners will receive up to $50,000 in prize money to further develop their ideas. Access to subject matter experts, mentors, leading academics, and investors is also provided to help bring the winning visions to life.
- Education: The Fishbowl Challenge is open to undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in a university/college, and those who have accepted admission into a university as of September 1, 2021
- Background: Applicants from all around the world are welcome and encouraged to apply.
- Language: Applicants must be comfortable conversing in English, as it will serve as the primary language of communication during the competition.
- Recommendation: A recommendation will be required for each applicant. Applicants must submit the name and contact details of a recommender (no friends/family, but professional recommendations from school, work, or other projects are welcome).