Closing soon - STEM Cadetship Program
The Department of Defence is calling on all undergraduate STEM and photography students!
Are you currently studying a degree in: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM), photography or imaging? Do you want to be paid while you study, graduate university with leading industry experience and have your HELP debt sponsored?
If this is you, the STEM Cadetship offers you a head start to a rewarding career in Defence where you will be employed as an Australian Public Service employee (i.e. non-military).
As a STEM Cadet, you will receive:
- Ongoing (permanent) employment with a minimum salary of $49,616 pa (plus 15.4% superannuation) during your cadetship
- Payment of compulsory university fees (i.e. course fees) during your cadetship
- $500 per semester book/resources allowance
- 60-days (minimum) work placements per annum in Defence
- Guaranteed employment with Defence upon successful completion of the cadetship.
Explore the opportunities
Find out how your university discipline can lead to a rewarding, challenging and meaningful career in Defence.
As a STEM Cadet, you will work across a spectrum of Defence projects that will offer exposure to new and exciting challenges, including:
- Biology, Chemistry, Radiological or related degrees will see you to work in world-class laboratories, contribute to research that informs, safeguards and mitigates risks posed by chemical, biological, and radiological threats and weapons of mass destruction
- Cadets with a ICT background can apply their degree and contribute to research areas including cyber security, communications and networks research, machine learning and data mining, artificial intelligence, big data analysis, cryptology, advanced robotics, natural language processing, autonomous systems, electronic warfare and reconnaissance systems
- Think ships, submarines, Joint Strike Fighter, hypersonics, land vehicles, space systems, radar systems, autonomous vehicles and all the integrated technology and you will only begin to imagine the endless research engineering opportunities in Defence
- Help develop technologies to support Australian ships to hunt submarines, resupply and fuel other ships, undertake off-shore patrol, launch aircraft such as helicopters, and self defence against air and sea threats
- Work on Air Force capability including aircraft design, testing and combat systems on projects such as F-35A Joint Strike Fighter, P-8 Poseidon, EA-18G Growler electronic warfare technologies and MQ-4 Triton reconnaissance and surveillance systems
- Software design and support to develop and research electronic warfare, reconnaissance, surveillance, electronic warfare, combat and life support systems
- Exploring traditional cyber security roles spanning from cryptography, coding, software production, computer science and big data analysis
- Supporting unprecedented multi-billion dollar projects in the Maritime sphere within Defence and have the unique opportunity to be a part of this significant contribution to Australian Navy capability.
Applications close Wednesday 11 September.