Food, Water and Agriculture
The need to increase output, reduce wastage, and minimise resource usage and environmental impact is placing unprecedented pressure on traditional food, wine and agriculture production and processing models.
At the same time, technology is transforming industries, and creating a range of high-tech, high-value opportunities. Our Food, Water and Agriculture research addresses these challenges and helps industries realise their potential through the use of technology.
Particular areas of research expertise include:
- machine learning and artificial intelligence for precision agriculture
- sensing and automation
- bio-processing, new materials and specialty products
- renewable energy generation and utilisation
- water resources and climate risk management.
Traditionally, agricultural sector productivity has been driven by increasing water and energy inputs to enhance yields. To achieve long-term sustainability, however, this has to change.
Our research is focused on enabling more efficient utilisation of resources and minimising environmental impact by creating new, more precise processes, and developing new products.
Strong industry links
We are developing technology-based research collaborations with growers, regional development corporations, industry and government, right across South Australia’s food, water and agricultural sectors. Our research is of particular interest and benefit to businesses, organisations and departments involved in:
- precision agriculture (protected, irrigated and broad)
- animal production systems
- irrigation and water resource management
- waste reduction and valorisation
- food and beverage processing and manufacturing
- winemaking technology.
Associated research centres and institutes
Our research capabilities
- Acoustics Vibration and Control
- Advanced Water Treatment Technologies
- Data Analytics
- Distributed and Intelligent Technologies
- Dynamics Modelling and Computation
- Intelligent Water Decisions
- Laser Diagnostics and Chemical Sensing
- Mechanics of Materials and Advanced Manufacturing
- Mining and Geoengineering
- Optimisation and Logistics
- Petroleum Geoscience
- Pharmaceutical, Bioprocessing and Biomedical Technologies
- Robotics and Automation
- Software Engineering
- Stochastic Modelling and Operations Research
- Stress, Structure and Seismic