International Student Scholarships
The University of Adelaide offers a range of fantastic scholarship opportunities for international students. Explore the options!
Adelaide Summer Research Scholarships
These scholarships are open to continuing undergraduate students at the University of Adelaide who wish to undertake a six week research project at the University of Adelaide over the 2018-19 summer vacation.
The aim of the Scholarship is to foster an interest in research by eligible students who might not otherwise have considered a career requiring an Honours Degree or Higher Degree by Research.
Up to 60 Adelaide Summer Research Scholarships are available at the University of Adelaide each year.
- Students who have completed at least two years (48 units) of their undergraduate program, at a standard acceptable level for admission to an Honours program, will be considered in the first instance.
- Students should ensure that an appropriate research project is available within their School.
- Australian citizens, permanent residents, or citizens of other countries and international students who hold current appropriate visas permitting study in Australia are eligible to apply for these Scholarships.
- In exceptional circumstances students who have completed less than two years of study may be considered.
- Students who are in receipt of, or expect to receive any other summer or vacation scholarships over the 2018-2019 summer vacation (e.g. National Heart Foundation Summer Scholarship, Cancer Council Vacation scholarships) are not eligible for the Adelaide Summer Research Scholarships unless the other scholarship is for a separate research project.
- The aim of the Scholarship is to foster an interest in research by eligible students who might not otherwise have considered a career requiring an honours degree or higher degree.
- The Scholarships are awarded on the recommendation of the relevant Faculty/School, to students of high academic merit, and the availability of a relevant research project within the Faculty/School, which would be beneficial and of interest to each student selected. As applicants will need to be matched to suitable research projects, the Scholarships may not be awarded strictly on the basis of academic merit.
- The Scholarships are intended to provide experience in a research project conducted by one or more academic staff and are not intended to support work towards an Honours degree, or for any other course requirements.
- The Scholarship must be taken up in the year at the time it is offered; acceptance of the Scholarship offer cannot be deferred. If a student declines the Scholarship offer, the Scholarship will be offered to the next eligible student.
- The Scholarship will last for at least six weeks during the 2018-2019 summer vacation. The duration of the Scholarship may be extended to more than six weeks by a Faculty/ School subject to funding availability.
- The value of the living allowance of the Scholarship is usually $1200, paid at $400 per fortnight for the six-week period of the research project.
- Tax payments are not usually deducted from these payments. Recipients of the scholarship are responsible for seeking advice from the Australian Taxation Office regarding the status of the scholarship with regard to taxation.
Please see below for a list of available research projects within the Faculty's Schools and Research Centres. Details of the specific project you are applying for are required on your application form. Applications will be open from Monday 16 July, 2018.
Australian School of Petroleum
School of Chemical Engineering
School of Civil, Environmental and Mining Engineering
School of Computer Science
School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
School of Mathematical Sciences
School of Mechanical Engineering
TRC Mathematical Modelling
Application Procedure for ECMS Faculty Applicants
- Check the scholarship rules to ensure you are eligible to apply or contact the Coursework Scholarships Office for more information if required.
- Ensure that an appropriate research project is available within your Faculty/School.
- Consult the supervisor of the project in which you are interested to undertake research work and complete application form sections: Personal Details, University Study Details and provide brief outline of why you are in undertaking a research project.
- Arrange to meet the project supervisor to complete section: Supervisor/Project Details. To avoid not meeting the application closing date deadline, please ensure to check that your Supervisor will be available (ie. not on leave or travelling) in the weeks leading up to this deadline. The Scholarships Office will not accept late applications.
- Scan/copy the completed application form for your records.
- Take completed form (including Supervisor’s signature and agreed commencement date) to the relevant School Office who will follow up on your behalf for the Head of School’s signature.
- The School Office will endeavour to arrange the Head of School’s sign off within 5 business days for your collection, so please ensure you allow sufficient time before applications close.
- Completed application forms (hard-copy) must be lodged at: Coursework Scholarships Office, C/- Ask Adelaide, Hub Central, Level 3 Blue Area, The University of Adelaide, SA 5005. Applications close Friday 28 September 2018.
- Applications close 5pm Friday 28 October 2018. Late applications will not be considered.
- Please ensure all signatures are provided before submitting.
- Keep a completed copy of your application for your records.
- Allow sufficient time for the Supervisor and Head of School to sign your application before the closing date.
- Please note only completed applications will be considered.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by the ECMS Faculty Office in mid-late November 2018.