Adelaide Summer Research Scholarships
The ASRS program is open to continuing undergraduate students, particularly those in the later years of their Bachelor’s degree who are interested in pursuing research studies in the near future.
The scholarships are designed to foster an interest in research by eligible students who might not have yet considered a career requiring an Honours Degree or Higher Degree by Research. The scholars will work with a research team to stimulate their enthusiasm for advanced study.
- Experience working closely with some of ECMS’s leading researchers on a ‘real’ research project
- Build strong rapports with potential Honours and PhD supervisors
- Spark your interest in research and potential career pathways requiring an Honours Degree or Higher Degree by Research
- Receive a living allowance while you’re doing it
- Obtain valuable work experience that you can include on your CV.
Projects and how to apply
Duration and funding
- At least six weeks during the 2019-20 summer vacation
- Scholarships may be extended to more than six weeks subject to funding availability
- Each scholarship provides a living allowance of $200 per week paid in two instalments during the six week period.
Key dates for 2019
- 8 July – research projects advertised and applications open
- 20 September – applications close at 5pm
Late applications will not be accepted
- Mid-late November – outcome of applications advised
- Late November/early December (or as agreed by the project supervisor) – start research project.
Testimonials from past participants
Harbin Institute of Technology at Weihai: "For me, the most important thing I learned from the summer research scholarship is that research needs enthusiasm and vigor, we need to engage ourselves to solve a complex problem and then need maths to verify the results. When the results come in, all efforts are worth it.”
“It was unbelievably enjoyable to tackle a problem where there were no answer sheets, no marks and no boundaries. You can really make a project whatever you want it to be, and explore an area you enjoy.”
“The experience was fun and challenging at times. It allowed me to implement my engineering ingenuity and create connections with other people, which is important for engineers and researchers alike.”
“I took the program at the end of my second year. It has prepared me for a course in my degree called Formation Damage, as the program presented some of the key concepts in this course, as well as solutions to real life problems faced by engineers. Dealing with the lab equipment and machines helps Honours students prior to their program.”
“The summer research experience lead me to understand deeper the knowledge and techniques I learnt before. And I am happy to have a great opportunity to use this valuable academic knowledge to make the world a better place.”
How to apply
The online application form will be available from Monday 8 July - Friday 20 September.
- Complete the application form including the details of the specific project you are applying for
- Meet with the project supervisor(s) to discuss the project and a suitable start date, finalise all required information on your application form and obtain the supervisor’s signature of approval
- Request for the School Office hosting the project to arrange for the Head of School signature
- Keep a copy of your completed application for your own records
- Submit your application form(s) by 5pm Friday 20 September to:
Coursework Scholarships Office
C/- Ask Adelaide
Hub Central, Level 3 Blue Area
- Refer to Scholarship rules for applicant eligibility and criteria
- Application form will be available from Monday 8 July
- Only complete applications will be considered
- Please ensure all signatures are obtained before submitting your application(s). You should allow at least 5 business days to obtain signatures.
When do the research scholarships start and finish?
Scholarship positions run between late November and February.
The scholarship period can be split before and after the Christmas break if desired, but the exact dates will need to be negotiated directly with your supervisor.
How many scholarships are offered each year?
The number of scholarships varies each year due to the availability of supervisors and a suitable research project within each school.
Can international students apply for these scholarships?
Yes, scholarships are available to both domestic and international students.
International students will be required to show a current visa permitting study in Australia beyond February 2020 to be eligible to apply for these scholarships.
Can non-University of Adelaide students apply for these scholarships?
Yes, scholarships offered by the ECMS Faculty are available to students who aren’t currently studying at the University of Adelaide, however may be interested in pursuing an Honours Degree or Higher Degree by Research with the University.
Are my grades considered in the application process?
Applicants should aim to have at least a credit average.
However, due to the availability of suitable projects, scholarships may not be awarded strictly on the basis of academic merit.
I have a question that isn't listed here.