New HDR Student Induction Program
Congratulations and welcome to the Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences!
To ensure you get off to a good start and to help you settle into your new research study environment, you'll find all the information you need regarding the induction program for HDR (MPhil/PhD) students below.
As a guide, within your first 6 months you should aim to:
- complete the Health, Safety and Wellbeing (HSW) Inductions
- set up your workstation so you are comfortable and can work effectively
- familiarise yourself with the information available on the Adelaide Graduate Centre (AGC) website and Research Student Handbook
- attend the CaRST training session: How to Plan your PhD
- determine the focus of your research project
- familiarise yourself with the ECMS research facilities and library services
- arrange access to required areas you will need to use
- attend an ECMS welcome event for new HDR students.
Your first month with ECMS
It is important that you use this time to get settled and familiarise yourself with your new work environment, processes that you may need to follow within your school, and of course, staff and students with whom you will interact with during your candidature.
Listed below are a few things that will help you get settled.
On your first day
For international students: you will need to present yourself at the Adelaide Graduate Centre (AGC) to initiate your enrolment and collect your enrolment package. The AGC is located on Level 10 of the Schulz Building (via West Entrance). For directions, here is the North Terrace campus map.
Before you meet with your supervisor, introduce yourself to the School Administration Officer to receive your ECMS welcome pack and arrange a time for your local induction.
Local Area Induction: after you meet with your supervisor, the School Administration Officer will arrange to show you around your office area and to your workstation.
ECMS HSW inductions: you will need to complete the Staff & HDR General Safety Induction and Ergonomics assessment as a new member of the ECMS Faculty.
Your ECMS welcome pack will include:
- How to Plan Your PhD booklet by Dr Hugh Kearns (recognised internationally as a public speaker, educator and researcher). How to Plan your PhD is also offered as a workshop through the CaRST program. If this is scheduled during your first 6 months, we encourage you to register. Feedback received from students who previously attended this workshop have been very positive.
- HDR induction checklists are for you to use as a guide to getting set up and to refer to during your initial meetings with your supervisor. Checklists are available here:
Meeting with your supervisor
This meeting will be the first of many and to ensure you receive the support you may require during your candidature it is critical that you establish an arrangement to meet regularly.
- Please refer to the Principal Supervisor Checklist - New HDR Student Induction to help guide you during your meeting.
- Your supervisor will introduce you to the Postgraduate Coordinator (PGC), however if they aren’t available, please arrange to meet them at a later time.
- Master of Philosophy students with a coursework component: please check with your supervisor regarding the correct procedure to select and confirm enrolment into any courses.
Getting set up
It is important that your computer is set up correctly and you are comfortable at your desk. If you have any concerns, please ask for help otherwise here are a few tips:
- Password: your account is your identity, and your password is the key that gives you access to your data. Securing your account is important. If you are unable to log in, please visit Ask Adelaide to activate your account.
- Computer: once you have your log in details and password, the university’s Information Technology and Digital Services (ITDS) can install your computer. For further support, you can refer to ITDS self-help guides for staff or call ITDS Service Desk 8313 3000.
- Ergonomics: please refer to the ergonomics self-help guides to help you assess the layout of your work area. Some simple adjustments could make a big difference.
HSW induction process for HDR students
For your health and safety, it is important as a new HDR student, to complete the required HSW induction process for HDR students within your first week.
This process will outline what you’ll need to complete before you can request access to ECMS research (workshop and laboratory) facilities.
Also, please familiarise yourself with other important safety information available at ECMS Faculty HSW which you may need to refer to throughout your research studies.
Online HDR enrolment
When required to enrol, you will receive an email from the Adelaide Graduate Centre (AGC) requesting that you activate your university account, and then login to the online enrolment form.
You will receive an email confirming your enrolment once all approvals are completed.
When you receive confirmation that your enrolment is complete, you will be able to request a student ID card from Ask Adelaide which is located in Hub Central.
If you haven’t received your confirmation of enrolment email within two weeks of commencing, please contact the Adelaide Graduate Centre.
If you need to arrange building access while you are waiting for your enrolment to be completed, please liaise with your supervisor.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the ECMS Research Development team by email: email@example.com